[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Fri Aug 18 22:28:17 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> No, that would be a crack dream. :)
>
> What you need (and what you really want) is people that know your module
> inside out (!), that share your vision for the module (!), and that can
> help you maintain it (!).  If your module is that important, it is your
> responsibility to build such team, to get people on board and to
> delegate responsibilities by making other people co-maintainers.  If you
> want to be a responsible maintainer, it's part of the job description to
> find, motivate, guide and empower people to take on a role within your
> project and to make it sustain.

I think this is the crux of our difference in opinion, Dries.  While it would
be great and noble for me to build such a team out of desire to make my module
successful and sustained, I might not do that for any number of reasons (e.g.
lack of time, lack of diplomatic skills, lack of English language skills,
people just think I'm ugly, whatever).  The point then is that despite my
"neglect" my module has become important and now there is nobody to maintain it.

The "golden star" is the mark that points out to core and active developers
contemplating a release that this is a module that needs special attention.
Or so I understood the proposal from way back when.

*My* proposal is that the issue get visibility and some sort of mechanism to
help make sure temporarily-orphaned but critical modules don't get left
behind.  There are likely other methods than the golden repo idea.  It just
seemed that the door to any discussion was being closed.