[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Fri Aug 18 22:03:11 UTC 2006

Jeff Eaton wrote:
>> Then Drupal comes along,  breaks half a dozen APIs as it is
>> wont to do -- and
>> I'm spending a year sabbatical living in the Andes and not
>> doing any work on
>> the module at all.
>
> If that is the case, then NO ONE should be shocked that there are
> problems. Get another developer to pick up the project, announce that it
> won't be supported anymore, give someone else commit rights... After a
> year away, I think the module can legitimately be considered
> 'abandoned.'

I only said a year sabbatical to make it clear that nothing was going to
happen soon enough.  I am not really talking about abandoned modules, just
those that might not get updated "soon enough" where "soon enough" is open for
interpretation.

>> Multiply this times the dozen or so most popular modules;
>> lather, rinse, repeat.
>
> I can think of maybe a handful of modules that are THAT complex. Views?
> Yes. Project? Yes. eCommerce and its suite of related modules?
> Absolutely. Those are all important, but declaring that we will never
> ship Drupal if those modules aren't released at the same time is silly.

I didn't suggest not shipping Drupal if those modules are not released at the
same time.  That's a straw horse.  All I said is that the current course of
action is not addressing the problem.