[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Fri Aug 18 20:59:55 UTC 2006

> Then Drupal comes along,  breaks half a dozen APIs as it is
> wont to do -- and
> I'm spending a year sabbatical living in the Andes and not
> doing any work on
> the module at all.

If that is the case, then NO ONE should be shocked that there are
problems. Get another developer to pick up the project, announce that it
won't be supported anymore, give someone else commit rights... After a
year away, I think the module can legitimately be considered
'abandoned.'

> You release a new verison of Drupal but without the one
> module most people
> want, because I am not around to update it.  What do you do?

Pay money to have it updated by someone else, or not upgrade. It's not
rocket science.

> Multiply this times the dozen or so most popular modules;
> lather, rinse, repeat.

I can think of maybe a handful of modules that are THAT complex. Views?
Yes. Project? Yes. eCommerce and its suite of related modules?
Absolutely. Those are all important, but declaring that we will never
ship Drupal if those modules aren't released at the same time is silly.

--Jeff