[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 21:22:50 UTC 2006

On 19 Aug 2006, at 17:42, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> Op zaterdag 19 augustus 2006 16:13, schreef Dries Buytaert:
>> We all know what is important, and what is not.  We don't need golden
>> stars to figure out that flexinode, cck, views, e-commmerce and image
>> are important.  There is common sense amongst developers
>
> But we must also acknoledge that we know this because we can sense
> a "buzz"
> around a project. Someone who looks "For a CMS that allows blogging
> and an
> image gallery" does not sense that, and wll probably need to go
> trough the
> whole range of "shazamgallery (not-user-safe)", "gallery2 (glues
> gallery2 to
> Drupal)", "img assist (not for image galleries)", "acidfree (for a
> very
> specific task, not very flexible)" and the rest to find out what
> he /realy/
> needs, "image module".
> If we can show such a person that "image" is the one to go for
> right away,
> that would be great. But right now, getting that knowledge requires
> a lot of
> effort for people new to Drupal.

We're mixing two (related) things here:

   1. Making it easier for users to get insights about a project's
health.
   2. The need for resources to update important modules -- i.e. to
guarantee certain project's health.

I think we can fix (1) by adding additional rating metrics and by
improving the UI of the project module. However, the original
discussion was about (2), which has everything to do with developers,
and very little to do with users.