[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Sun Aug 20 01:54:20 UTC 2006

On Aug 19, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Metzler, David wrote:

> I often wonder why the project module hasn't been [moved into core].

all sorts of reasons:

1) only a tiny % of all drupal sites in the world need a full-blown
issue tracking and release management system.  if it's in core,
*everyone* gets all that code, even if they don't want any of it.

2) up until very recently, project was written almost entirely with
drupal.org in mind.  since i've taken over, i've put a big emphasis
on making it useful to other sites (since i need it for sites i'm
building for my day job at a university computer science
department).  however, this is definitely a work in progress --
there's still a *lot* of work to do to make it really useful in other
environments.

3) nothing against the workflow for how patches get into core, but
frankly, the pace of development required to fix bugs, add new
functionality, and make project useful for other sites is *way* too
fast .  unless dries & co. wanted to make me a core committer (a
responsibility i don't want), i don't see how i could do what i need
to do to make this module better.

4) it's frankly huge, and still has a lot of crufty, dark corners
that need lots more lovin'.  putting that steamy pile of poo into
core would be a disservice to the rest of core (well, except maybe
the poll.module), and an embarrassment for our otherwise beautiful
code. ;)

reasons #5 through #10 are left as an exercise for the interested
reader...

-derek