[development] cvs update -dPf -r DRUPAL-4-7

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Mon Aug 21 18:09:50 UTC 2006

A while ago there was a thread here about how to best update a site that was
based on 4.7.x, yet used some modules that did not have the DRUPAL-4-7
branch.  This was back when the tag was new and most modules had not used it
yet.  I found this command and was happily using it:

cvs update -dPf -r DRUPAL-4-7

(the '-f' means get the files even if there is no DRUPAL-4-7 tag.)

Well I'm not using it so happily anymore.  Recently all the modules/*.module
files were moved.  So instead of modules/user.module you have
modules/user/user.module.  This change was made to DRUPAL-HEAD.

Now, a consequence of using the CVS command above is that you update
modules/user.module, but you also get a copy of modules/user/user.module.
Because to CVS, its a new file that you asked for when specifying -f and -d.

It's worth noting that drupal apparently finds the files in modules/ first.
So my site runs with the DRUPAL-4-7 code and it took me a while to even
notice this.

This is just a warning to anyone else in the habit of using that command.
(I'm not trying to start a XYZ is better than CVS thread.)

-Dave