[development] register the install profile in system table?

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed Aug 23 04:52:05 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Neil Drumm <drumm at delocalizedham.com> wrote:

> Nedjo Rogers wrote:
> > We have the ability to include _install functions in install profiles.
> > What about updates? We're currently registering the install profile
> > through variable_set('install_profile'). Should we instead be setting it
> > as a row in the system table? That way we could track its schema version
> > like we do for modules and so invoke e.g. default_update_0() when
> > update.php is run.
>
> What updates would install profiles run? My understanding is that they
> are only for enabling modules and setting configuration on installation.

Say an install profile ships with a gardened/maintained taxonomy (config).
This could be updated centrally over time.

Same could be said for "boilerplate" content of various kinds -- shipping
with integrated help, etc.

In general...it will allow for versioning. We're really just at the early
stages of this...need to get a couple out in the wild. This just "feels"
like the right solution...

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747