[development] register the install profile in system table?

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Wed Aug 23 14:40:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 21:52 -0700, Boris Mann wrote:

> On 8/22/06, Neil Drumm <drumm at delocalizedham.com> wrote:
>         Nedjo Rogers wrote:
>         > We have the ability to include _install functions in install
>         profiles.
>         > What about updates? We're currently registering the install
>         profile
>         > through variable_set('install_profile'). Should we instead
>         be setting it
>         > as a row in the system table? That way we could track its
>         schema version
>         > like we do for modules and so invoke e.g. default_update_0()
>         when
>         > update.php is run.
>
>         What updates would install profiles run? My understanding is
>         that they
>         are only for enabling modules and setting configuration on
>         installation.
>
> Say an install profile ships with a gardened/maintained taxonomy
> (config). This could be updated centrally over time.
>

> Same could be said for "boilerplate" content of various kinds --
> shipping with integrated help, etc.
>

> In general...it will allow for versioning. We're really just at the
> early stages of this...need to get a couple out in the wild. This just
> "feels" like the right solution...

But most things like this will probably be customized no? The install
profiles are just a 'preset' configuration. Who ever writes updates for
them would have to be careful about not thrashing user modified data.
But I can also see it as being cool if you are running a modified core
in your install profile, personally If I were doing that I'd rewrite the
'system_update_' .$x functions and the $module_name .'_update_'. $x
functions in my profile....

.darrel.