[development] Wiki module

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed Aug 23 08:15:52 UTC 2006

On 22-Aug-06, at 11:00 PM, Moshe Weitzman wrote:

> Sumit Datta wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>> Google SoC 2006 is over. Now i am thinking of what more i can do : my
>> main intention is to do somthing that can be used widely by the
>> general users. Wiki module stands out in this respect. Also there is
>> need for token-based authentication and Flickr API, but it seems
>> to me
>> that wiki module has more general need.

Andrew et al: Kitt Hodsden has some code squirreled away that
implements the Flickr API including token-based auth -- that is,
exposes Drupal images etc.

And yes, there needs to be one solid Flickr module.

>> Check out the links to the initial proposed projects for this SoC and
>> also the ones that were chosen :
>> http://drupal.org/node/59958 => Proposed projects
>> http://drupal.org/node/65244 => 2006 Summer of Code Projects (14)
>> For the wiki module: is anyone actively working on it? or are there
>> any plans for it? chx told me that there could be some work on that
>> module in the Brussels meet.
>
> you are welcome and encouraged to look at existing wiki modules
> (especially liquid wiki) and then build a great one using code and
> ideas from each. use the wiki.module name. i own that project, and
> intend to commit somebody's efforts there. wiki success requires
> great atenntion to user experience in addition to sane code. if it
> sucks compared to dokuwiki and mediawiki, few will use ours. it has
> to be at least decent.
>
> in brussels we will talk about wiki but i doubt we have to build
> much. better to start now.

yes...much of the talk will be about specific details. For instance:
should we suppress WYSIWYG editors for wiki content?

The liquid wiki needs updating for 4.7...it was released compatible
with a late RC of 4.7, and has one or two lines that need fixing. I
don't see anything in any of the other wiki modules that is
compelling. Moshe, do we want to start discussing this here or wait
for Brussels :P ?

-- Boris