[development] New Themes for New Drupal

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Tue Aug 29 10:25:02 UTC 2006

Jeff Robbins wrote:
> As some of you probably know, I've been working on a new theme for
> Drupal that aims to become the default core theme for the next version
> of Drupal.

I didn't get the memo. I did hear rumors.

>     We've set up a test site here: http://drupaltheme.lullabot.com

These themes need to be somewhere between "looks like Drupal" and "clean
enough to build off of." What I see here looks like a full palate
competing with the Drupal branding and the themer trying to find the
shortest way to their own color scheme. It does look good, but too far
from bluemarine to be a good default.

> There is currently 1 theme with 4 sub-themes. The main theme is called
> "Zen" and aims to provide basic, standards-compliant, XHTML that can be
> easily manipulated with CSS (think: "CSS Zen Garden"). ...

Things you will have a hard time getting past me:
- Implementing any more theme functions than we have in the core themes
at the moment. (see http://drupal.org/node/81217#comment-129980)
- Styling form fields. These are notoriously inconsistent across
platforms and I think are best left as-is anyway since form fields
should always look like form fields.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/