[development] New Themes for New Drupal

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Tue Aug 29 15:02:22 UTC 2006

Jeff Robbins wrote:
> On Aug 29, 2006, at 6:25 AM, Neil Drumm wrote:

>> These themes need to be somewhere between "looks like Drupal" and
>> "clean enough to build off of." What I see here looks like a full
>> palate competing with the Drupal branding and the themer trying to
>> find the shortest way to their own color scheme. It does look good,
>> but too far from bluemarine to be a good default.
>
> Please see: http://drupaltheme.lullabot.com/node?theme=zen-beach

I've hated bluemarine from the first time I saw it years ago right up to
today.  I only ever use it because it works.  It's ugly.  It looks like
something from the web in 1996.  If that's Drupal's branding, then Drupal is
apparently well-known for having an ugly, out-of-date visual brand.  IMHO, of
course.

>> - Styling form fields. These are notoriously inconsistent across
>> platforms and I think are best left as-is anyway since form fields
>> should always look like form fields.

> I'm not sure I totally agree on this point. Some browsers ignore styling
> on form fields, so it is important to test on many browsers to see what
> is truly happening. But I think that a little bit of styling,
> particularly on form buttons can show a sense of style and maturity.
> Certainly they can be styled out of the realm of usability, but I think
> with a bit of testing, we can improve upon the nasty default button
> styling of browsers like Firefox.
>
> -jeff

Some day, all browser builders will get an f'ing clue, and allow controls to
be styled properly.  Until then, I agree with Jeff -- some improvement on some
browsers is better than none.  The one biggest thing that differentiates a
well-written web application from a "real" binary application these days is
the fugly form fields and controls.  Also, IMHO.

Respectfully yours,
Curmudgeonly GUI developer since 1977

..chrisxj