[development] New Themes for New Drupal

Gunnar Langemark gunnar at langemark.com
Wed Aug 30 07:24:42 UTC 2006

Actually I love Drupal, druplicon and the bluemarine theme.
But that's just because I've been living with Drupal for the past four
years and some...

If I was out there looking for a new girlfriend, I'd be looking for
something completely different.
Drupal - as it is - says "amateur" all over the  place.
I hate to say it, but if the redesign issue is to be taken seriously,
please throw out EVERYTHING!
You can't do redesign successfully without sacrifice.

That includes the druplicon.

Make it VERY CLEAR what the goal is.
If it is to satisfy the developer community you don't need to change a
thing. They love it already as it is.
If it is to attract new professional developer "blood" you need to
change some things.
If it is to attract new consulting companies doing implementation you
need to change even more.
If it is to take on wordpress and joomla in the
<irony>eversointeresting</irony> popularity race  - you need to CHANGE
EVERYTHING! You simply can't have Druplicon AND be head to head with joomla.

Make sure you all know what the objective is.

Best
Gunnar