[development] NNTP and Adservers ??

Dan Horning lists at danhorning.com
Wed Aug 30 15:03:10 UTC 2006

Yea i know those are two very different things - however they have one
thing in common - when not made right they can break any website....
I've got some unique needs and it'd like to start some development on
those two modules simply defined as follows (both would of course remain
fully free and publicly available. if you're interested in helping or
know of other development in progress please let me know - i plan on
starting the adserver first and then working on the NNTP (currently
planned with or w/o the bar.baen site picking this)

NNTP/Mailgateway (unpaid project for bar.baen.com - talking about
replacing the system they have with drupal)
 -- allowing for threaded posting of comments and the ability to
subscribe to taxonomies and maybe forums also
 -- this must also have the ability to control access to the nodes just
as roles and na_arbitrators do (use their data if mods available)
 -- more spec needed...

Adserver (small but paying project)
 -- simply put we need to be able to show any ad on a page spot of any
size w/o limitations
 -- basic impressions / clicks data would be nice but not at all req
 -- would like the logic for displaying the ads built into the page view
itself - allowing the end user to place blocks anywhere and within those
blocks set simple random rotations of any number of ads.
 -- the hard part is doing this without repeating any ad show on a
particular page (ie.. if there are 5 available ads for an area - an
there are 8 spots open in the block setups it will only show the total
of five balanced across the available space. it is key that the
dimensions are not a factor - call it non-idiot proof but it's a needed
option for the targets. - dimensionally controled spots also would be
good... )
 -- the ability to assign types to the blocks

--
Dan Horning - danhorning.com
American Digital Services - americandigitalservices.com