[development] NNTP and Adservers ??

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Wed Aug 30 16:18:21 UTC 2006

> as far as the adserver - the limitations of phpmyads (new and others)
> all are dimension based for the target adspace and phpmyads is just a
> drain on a server (esp the environment I'm looking at and the fact it's
> only an internal ad system)

phpAdsNew is designed so it is a central server, i.e. runs on dedicated
hardware that only serves ad.

The banner module and others are part of the Drupal server.

> i think it's really just the logic for the blocks that is complicated in
> any way - ;-)

How so? If all you want is to rotate ads in blocks, then the banner module
already does that.

Also, see the code in the adsense module, you can define the format
and channel per block with some pre-defined blocks. In 4.7, blocks can
be anywhere.

You could do the same with banner module or a variant of it.

As far as not repeating the ad, it can be done by a simple static variable
that stores the ad ID that is displayed, so it does not get displayed again.