[development] possible theme?

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Thu Aug 31 13:31:03 UTC 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 06:42, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> is there someone else who likes?
>
>    http://www.drupalart.org/drupal48/

On the plus side, as a fan of "lean and clean" themes, it fits that model
nicely. The buttons look a lot like some of the default KDE and GNOME
themes, which will make Linux users happy.

The comments others have made about it being "boring" don't concern me
at all. I *like* "boring" in a default theme, because when I am installing
a new site what I most want right away is just go get it up and running.
I don't want to have a complex theme that might break for some modules
(such as AcidFree or other photo albums, live chat modules, etc.) that
have special layout needs. Let me get online with a basic theme, start
creating my content and menus and such, and I'll tweak the cosmetics
later. (Especially in a team environment, it is very useful to get the
functionality working first and let the theme guru play at their leisure
while content mavens get to work creating pages.) Content is king.

My one significant complaint is the fixed-width layout. When, oh when,
will web designers learn that web != paper? I know all the stuff publishing
pros say about line length and readability. But let that be the *user's*
choice, by appropriately sizing their browser window. Don't mandate a
narrow column width as a hardwired feature of the site; let the browser
wrap the text as needed.

With a variable-width main content area, the user who loves a newspaper-like
narrow column has only to shape his or her browser window accordingly.

Other than that one issue, I like it overall.   Score: 3

If the theme becomes variable-width, or if (as someone else suggested) the
fixed/variable width is an admin option, I'd bump that up to a 4.

Scott