[development] changes to hook_nodeapi

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Thu Aug 31 21:21:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 15:45 -0400, Andrew Lee wrote:
> Ok, just so that I can judge my sanity here. We are removing, arguably
> unnecessarily, a simple easy to grasp system for dealing with crud
> operations and replacing it with a, as demonstrated by messages from
> other developers, harder to grasp system that will require additional
> lines of code to accomplish things I can already do with 4.7. We do
> this all with no gain in features or performance in return?
> I must have missed something. I think I need a cocktail…. Anyone?

Actually in my experience formAPI is a much easier to grasp concept. The
fact that we haven't completely migrated our model to it makes it
confusing some days. Over all I have a quicker view of WTF?!?!? if I
print_r($form) from somewhere I can see everything that will be called
and what order it will be called in while processing the structure. I
fully agree with submit and validate being moved into the model....

if 'update' is deprecated I have problem. We already have a partial
rendering solution resting on formAPI and a pretty complete form
processing solution built on formAPI. I'd like to see those to projects
reach completion before we start handing the data layer over to formAPI.

.darrel.

ps. don't get confused by the names. formAPI has very little to do with
forms... it is more like a rendering or processing pipeline.