[development] Gerhard, Kjartan, Steven... please explain better

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Sun Dec 17 11:59:09 UTC 2006

In the sandbox discussion, an interesting pattern has appeared.
Virtually every developer who is involved with Drupal.org infrastructure
at a personal level (those named in the title) want to bring order to
the sandboxes and crowbar the "not projects" that live there into the
new release system. Everybody else is against this. Worse, we don't seem
to be moving towards agreement.

Usually in a case like this, one side of the story isn't fully
understood. I have to admit that I still don't understand what is so bad
about the sandboxes that makes the people involved with infrastructure
hate them. I use my sandbox only infrequently but am very glad it is
there. The answer can't be "the code there is lousy" because that
applies to at least 200 of the projects in contrib as well (a number
which will rise with the new proposed changes). So what is it that makes
the sandboxes a thorn in the side of the people who actually have to
maintain the infrastructure? The work that goes into Drupal.org
infrastructure is chronically under-appreciated, and if the sandboxes
are a special burden that I (we) haven't recognized, it would help the
conversation to find that out.

cheers,

Robert