[development] Seems I need to take sandbox in my own hands

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun Dec 17 14:29:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>> try a contrib module and it is alpha or pre-alpha state. I think "why the
>> hell isn't this in the sandbox, instead of taking up space in my modules
>> directory".
>
> Your approach to CVS is flawed, I recommend a counselling session with dww.
> ;)

Gerhard, maybe our approach to Drupal.org CVS was formed by previous
Drupal.org practice. Common sense was (is) that we put stuff into /modules
or /themes, which we intend to release / support in the foreseeable
future. This resulted in a perceived level of quality of modules in
Drupal.org CVS (even their HEAD version).

Now the infrastructure team's policy enforcement tells us that we are free
to experiment in the /modules (and /themes) directory, regardless of
whether we have an intention to release or support a module/theme. This
lowers the bar of the expected quality of the /modules folder
significantly.

This is at least a big change for many of our minds, and might be possible
to respect.

Previously:

  - experiment in your sandbox (anything was allowed including core
    patches, contrib patches, modules, themes, code snippets)
  - put "stable" stuff into /modules, /themes, commit to core, etc.

Now:

  - experiment in CVS HEAD in /modules, /themes, etc
  - it is not possible to collaboratively experiment with core
    patches, unless you explictly request CVS space for this
  - it is impossible to collaboratively experiment with
    contrib patches, code snippets, etc, on drupal.org
  - release "stable" stuff with branching and tagging your code

Maybe it would have been a lot better to show what previous concepts are
transforming into.

Gabor