[development] Seems I need to take sandbox in my own hands

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun Dec 17 14:52:47 UTC 2006

Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>>> try a contrib module and it is alpha or pre-alpha state. I think "why
>>> the hell isn't this in the sandbox, instead of taking up space in my
>>> modules directory".
>>
>> Your approach to CVS is flawed, I recommend a counselling session with
>> dww. ;)
>
> Gerhard, maybe our approach to Drupal.org CVS was formed by previous
> Drupal.org practice. Common sense was (is) that we put stuff into
> /modules or /themes, which we intend to release / support in the
> foreseeable future. This resulted in a perceived level of quality of
> modules in Drupal.org CVS (even their HEAD version).

"perceived" is quite the right word.

> Now the infrastructure team's policy enforcement tells us that we are
> free to experiment in the /modules (and /themes) directory, regardless
> of whether we have an intention to release or support a module/theme.

Well, if you already know you don't want to support it, then you are
welcome to keep it for yourself. The often advocated idea "but I want to
share my code" is quite pointless if the code is unusable.

> This lowers the bar of the expected quality of the /modules folder
> significantly.

This makes it more obvious that there should not be any quality be
expected. You read the recent security announcements, did you?

> This is at least a big change for many of our minds, and might be
> possible to respect.

The change in our release system was discussed over half a year.

> Previously:
>
>  - experiment in your sandbox (anything was allowed including core
>    patches, contrib patches, modules, themes, code snippets)

No, we just did not enforce the existing policy.

>  - put "stable" stuff into /modules, /themes, commit to core, etc.
>
> Now:
>
>  - experiment in CVS HEAD in /modules, /themes, etc
>  - it is not possible to collaboratively experiment with core
>    patches, unless you explictly request CVS space for this

ACK, a rather small hurdle.

>  - it is impossible to collaboratively experiment with
>    contrib patches, code snippets, etc, on drupal.org

We are discussing this as we speak.

>  - release "stable" stuff with branching and tagging your code

Yes.

> Maybe it would have been a lot better to show what previous concepts are
> transforming into.

Maybe it would have been, but such is life.

Cheers,
	Gerhard