[development] The value of version in the .info files

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Dec 21 02:13:17 UTC 2006

On Dec 20, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Based on http://drupal.org/node/101009 the value of version should
> be $Name$

actually, the page says (correctly) it should be "$Name$" (with
quotes -- see your other email about needing to use quotes for
strings in .ini files with non-alphanumeric characters).  CVS will
expand $Name$ to the name of the tag or branch you used to check out
the file.

> to allow the packaging system to do the right thing.

nope, the packaging system always does the right thing, regardless of
what (if anything) the .info file says about the version.  putting
'version = "$Name$"' in there is only a convenience for the subset of
power-users who deploy their sites directly via "cvs checkout"
instead of downloading packaged releases from drupal.org.

> I am finding values other than $Name$ in info files.

don't be fooled by core.  core modules use a somewhat sneaky trick
for slightly better version info than "$Name$" -- they use the
"VERSION" php define, instead.  contrib should never do this.
however, again, what the developers put in the .info files themselves
only matters for the subset of people getting their source directly
out of cvs.  everyone else gets the nice human-readable version
string, automatically included by the packaging script.

cheers,
-derek