[development] The value of version in the .info files

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Dec 21 02:40:08 UTC 2006

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> -rw-r--r--    1 boyde    Administ      133 Dec 15 12:47
> ./banner/banner.info
> version = 5.0-dev
>
> I'm not meaning to pick on banner just giving a cited example.  Many
> others don't include the version string at all, I suppose that is ok or
> should it be supplied as stated with ``version = $Head$''?

Well, it's wrong but not insanely wrong, since really only people updating out
of CVS will see this, and putting the actual version in CVS is probably ok too.
It's harder because it has to be updated manually. For the most part it's not
something to be too worried about, but it would be nice if contributors were
consistent. You should feel free to submit an issue about this and see if
that's what the module maintainer intended or if it's simply the result of not
having read the right information (there are, after all, vast quantities of
information to sift through) when doing the port.