[development] Confused: package value of info files

Gary Feldman dpal_gaf_devel at marsdome.com
Thu Dec 21 05:23:02 UTC 2006

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Yes, I have read your technical explanation before.  It is the end
> user experience I am trying to benefit.  I agree that a module in a
> package, package grouping, category or what ever it is needs to move
> to Other if there is only one in the grouping installed in the users
> environment.  I disagree that if I have more than one Taxonomy module
> package installed that the menu should display both of those in the
> Other package grouping rather than the Taxonomy package grouping.
Taxonomy, in particular, is such a general purpose area that it's not at
all clear that it makes a useful grouping.  Does Taxonomy Access Control
belong with Taxonomy or with Access Control?  Does Taxonomy Block belong
with Taxonomy or with Blocks (or web design)?  Does Taxonomy Menu belong
with other menu modules?

I agree that the underlying policy and grouping needs work, but I don't
think the answer is to allow packages around implementation tactics.
Perhaps it should be enhanced so that a module can appear in more than
one group.  Or perhaps users should be allowed to reorganize things
themselves.  But at this point in time, I don't think there's enough
experience with the new organization, and it would be premature to
change the current policy.

Gary