[development] Confused: package value of info files

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 21 12:07:22 UTC 2006

Quoting Gary Feldman <dpal_gaf_devel at marsdome.com>:

> I agree that the underlying policy and grouping needs work, but I
> don't think the answer is to allow packages around implementation
> tactics.  Perhaps it should be enhanced so that a module can appear
> in more than one group.  Or perhaps users should be allowed to
> reorganize things themselves.  But at this point in time, I don't
> think there's enough experience with the new organization, and it
> would be premature to change the current policy.

I am fine with this statement for 5.x if and only if
http://drupal.org/node/64279 and http://drupal.org/node/101009 make a
stronger case to leave package empty or unspecified unless the module
maintainer has been given permission otherwise.  Currently this policy
isn't clear.  <quote>package = "Your arbitrary grouping string"</quote>
is the policy based on the documentation because it is the example
given and most coders are nothing more than a group of people playing
follow the leader because they don't have time to stop a reflect on
life's puzzling mysteries.  My guess is few have clicked the link
reference on 64279 to 101009 to read the more information on .info
files.  My guess is that few have understand the "If you have doubt,
leave this field blank."

I would like to see "Your arbitrary grouping string" changed to "Your
assigned grouping string" and I would like the paragraph beginning "If
you assign a package string ..." to read as follows and I would remove
all of the suggested examples:

If you have been assigned a package string for your module it will be
listed with other modules containing the same string value on the
admin/build/modules page.  If you have not been assigned a package
string for your module then this value must remain unspecified it will
be listed in the Other grouping on the admin/build/modules page.

Earnie