[development] has this been discussed here?

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Wed Dec 27 02:03:37 UTC 2006

> I read the issue, and ironically 'gut feeling' and personal taste was
> the only reason offered for *changing* <!--break--> to something else. I
> don't care enough about the issue to fight on way or another, but the
> thread was frustrating to read; a late-in-the-game core patch went up,
> received NO positive reviews, and several negative ones. It was
> immediately committed.

Well, the new tag looks better and is easier to type.

Aside from that, as I mentioned in my earlier letter, the followups on filter-released issues are usually so off the track that it's no surprise Steven simply skips them. For example, never forget that I fought so hard for input filtering which is technically absurd that I have actually *coded* it -- all that work bought me was a through explanation so now I know why it's wrong (think of truncating an HTML-escaped, entitized text -- that's a horrible mess), and to know where Drupal text filtering goes to be secure (we provide APIs of which t() is a very nice example). So I am guilty here in strengthening the 'developers do not understand filter' attitude.

There are a lot of factors that went into this issue: the very long code freeze, the 'bikeshed' factor made worse by the fact that people believe they understand it but they don't, the history of similarly misunderstood filter issues (which were only misunderstood by developers but that's bad enough).