[development] Story vs Page - Again

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed Dec 27 02:04:54 UTC 2006

On 12/26/06, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Quoting Cog Rusty <cog.rusty at gmail.com>:
>
> > They only "work the same" from a developer's perspective. For an end user
> > who will be using them to submit content, different workflows can make a
> > huge semantic difference. 'Page' (or 'static page' or 'site page', if you
> > prefer) is for building your site while 'story' (or 'user posting' or
> > 'posting') is for adding daily content. Of course if the developer's
> > perspective was what mattered most, then both these default content types
> > could be scrapped.
> >

> It was from a new user perspective that I started this thread and there
> is no apparent difference from the end user point of view as delivered
> (at least with HEAD).  As delivered they "work the same" regardless of
> whose perspective you use.  There is no mention of workflow in the
> content type (or should that be node type) administration page nor in
> the page and story descriptions.  I could see no difference in the
> workflow when I viewed page vs story content submissions.  In fact the
> story content type description makes little sense with regard to the
> story page submission form.

Please follow along in the issues raised in this thread. We've already
acknowledged that workflow should be different for these two types,
and we're working on getting this committed.

The different naming is absolutely relevant from an end user
perspective: I usually go farther and rename the menu items to "static
page" and "news story" or "press release", and set workflow
appropriately.

See http://drupal.org/node/104763 -- patches to change wording of page
and story are also welcome, those definitions will also now be in
default.profile when this patch gets in.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747