[development] You know what would be really cool for d.o?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 27 21:12:49 UTC 2006

Quoting Derek Wright <drupal at dwwright.net>:

> On Dec 27, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> I'm now subscribed to that issue which is more than a year old with
>> little action.
>
> you're free to provide a patch.  meanwhile, i've been just a little
> bit busy[1].

I might, you never know.

>>   The project doesn't have a 5.0 Version tag yet either but that is
>> a different issue.
>
> a different issue indeed.  if you had been reading the front page of
> drupal.org you might have noticed:
>
> http://drupal.org/node/105004
> "5.0 release candidate now running on scratch.drupal.org"

I noticed, I've been there.

> or, gee, maybe you were reading this very list, and saw my plea for
> people to review/test the 5.0 port:
>
> http://lists.drupal.org/archives/development/2006-12/msg00298.html
>
> where i specifically mention:
>
> http://drupal.org/node/105016
> "Testing the 5.0 port of the release system on scratch.drupal.org"

I haven't had the time to CO from the scratch CVS yet.

> i'm not going to create the DRUPAL-5 branch until the code is stable.
> we don't know if the code isn't stable unless people test it.
>
> *sigh*
>
> -derek
>
> p.s. hint for not pissing off hard-working (almost entirely
> volunteer) developers: do a little research before you start
> complaining about all the things we're supposedly not doing right.

Wasn't meaning it as a complaint just mentioning an observation.  Sorry
for scratching at a wound.

> p.p.s. another hint: before posting random wish-list items to the
> devel list, search the issue queues and make sure you're not just
> duplicating existing requests.  instead of making developers go
> around and find all the issues for you, you could do that legwork
> yourself, to save our time to actually make progress on things
> instead of fending off a constant stream of duplicate requests.

I'll keep it in mind and often do research first. However, there is a
hell of a lot of information to search through and if someone like
Derek Wright knew that the request existed why not ask instead of
wasting my own time weeding through irrelavant information?

> [1] oh, for example:
>
> http://drupal.org/node/94000
> porting project* to 5.x
> http://drupal.org/user/46549/track
> http://drupal.org/project/issues?
> states=1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16&participated=46549

We are all busy.  I, like you, am an open source hobbyist and
volunteer.  I have contributed to the Drupal project even though I am
new.

Earnie