[development] Even more flexibility in content management

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkeydata.com
Fri Dec 29 12:42:39 UTC 2006

Khalid B wrote:
> On 12/28/06, *Greg Knaddison - GVS* <Greg at growingventuresolutions.com
> <mailto:Greg at growingventuresolutions.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/28/06, Rob Barreca <rob at electronicinsight.com
>     <mailto:rob at electronicinsight.com>> wrote:
>     >  A bit off-topic and not super critical, but this will also need
>     to spur a
>     > discussion of a more manageable access control page if we have
>     something
>     > like 5 perms for each content type. Is there an issue/any ideas
>     on how to
>     > simplify the access control page? Or, is a super long matrix
>     format still
>     > the best way to go?

This could be addressed by collapsible fieldsets (per content type), or
by some mechanism that allows admins to assign perms for one CCK content
type at a time

>     Until someone comes up with a brilliant replacement UI, I think
>     that's it.
>
>     Are there any similar models from other systems that we could copy?  I
>     don't know of any good ones off the top of my head.
>

> There is also the issue of when you have more than 5 or so roles, and
> the list
> goes to the right beyond the screen.
>
> Some alternatives were proposed some time back.
>
> One of them (was it by Konstantin K?) was to use css to highlight the
> column titles
> (role names) on the line that has the cursor on it.
>
> Another was to have collapsible.
>
> It is a tough usability one to tackle, specially scaling well for many
> roles and
> many modules and many permissions per module.
I suggest the following approaches --

1. css, as suggested above
2. collapsible fieldsets
3. an "assign for these roles" picklist -- this could be a multi-select
list, but it would allow an admin to focus on one (or two, or three)
specific role(s).

As others in this thread have suggested, losing the ability to filter
down to an individual role feels like we have lost some usability.

Cheers,

Bill