[development] Upgrade system

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Wed Feb 15 04:42:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 19:33 -0800, Neil Drumm wrote:
> Gordon Heydon wrote:
> > What happens is that when you install a new module is 2 things happen.
> >
> > 1. all the .install files are included and {module name}_update_n, where n is
> >    considered the schema version is inserted into the system table.
> > 2. the {module name}_install() is called where if you want you can create the database
> >    tables.
>
> Yep, thats exactly right.

Cool, 1 question about the best method of using this for E-Commerce
since it is made of multiple modules.

At this stage I have just moved all this into the store.install, but
should I instead use an individual install file for each module. So
there would be a product.install, cart.install, payment.install, etc or
leave the core modules in the store.install?

> > I still haven't really found out much information on the 4.7 update
> > system which this is hooked into, hopefully the documentation team has
> > something that they are putting together.
>
> Go ahead and throw it in whereever it fits. There is some incoming hook
> documentation over at http://drupal.org/node/48722.

I think the hook documentation will cover it, but the developer handbook
most likely needs some reference to this.

It is a pity that there hook_install() doesn't have a method for
stopping the install of the module because something failed or there is
a dependency missing.

Gordon.