[development] Re: Update pathauto to Drupal 4.7

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Feb 16 17:44:59 UTC 2006

Op donderdag 16 februari 2006 17:11, schreef Jeff Eaton:
> I use it on my blog, but to be honest I think the current path system
> makes pathauto unusable for core inclusion.
>
> A more robust algorithmic url-aliasing mechnism, like the one that chx
> and company brainstormed a few months ago, has a lot more potential IMO.
> On large sites, auto-generating aliases creates unmanagably huge path
> tables, colliding urls with ugly _0, _1, _2 suffixes all over the place,
> and so on. That's not a failing of pathauto, just a testament to how
> much it DOES do in an alias scheme that's not well suited for some of
> the things it's often used for.

I second this. Its usefull for sites under the 2-3000 nodes (blogs etc) but
for anything bigger it is not usefull. And combined with freetagging, the
data it needs it grows into a monster. I tested it on a big site (10.000
nodes/900 users/2000 tags) and the alias table contained around 100.000
lines! For drupal .org that would translate into something like > million
aliases :). Loaded into cache on each page load?

A -1 for inclusion in core as it is. We need the
  *functionality*
in core, but certainly not in this particular imlpementation.

We talked about tokenised menu system. Making that system work two ways
(path->callbacks AND url()->paths) is the route to take IMO. Storing 20.000
blogs/My_user_name/feed is not a good idea. Storing one blogs/%username/feed
that is parsed/cached for earh url() or so is a better idea. And no, I am not
volunteering for this, but that fact should not rule me out of the -1ers for
this one in core. :)

  Bèr
--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | website development |
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |