[development] Re: Update pathauto to Drupal 4.7

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Thu Feb 16 22:39:33 UTC 2006

Moshe Weitzman wrote:

>> A -1 for inclusion in core as it is. We need the   *functionality*
>> in core, but certainly not in this particular imlpementation.
>

> I guess I also need to disclaim: "please refrain from voting on issues
> that are not up for vote". Also, we no longer cache all aliases at
> start of request. Let's not spread FUD.

While the current implementation is much better for a site with a lot of
aliases, it is worse if you only have a few, since "select * from
url_alias" is about called 100 times per page, 500 times on pages with a
lof of links like /projects/Modules. That query is among the top 5 for
accumulated execution time on drupal.org.

> Storing 100,000 aliases is likely no longer a performance problem. I
> don't think that will be much slower than storing 100 aliases since
> the table is indexed on path. Benchmarks would say so definitively.
>
> I'm not against some token system but I don't think it is necessary.

Earl has come up with a patch which is something of an in-between both
approaches (full cache vs singular queries).

Cheers,
    Gerhard