[development] no 4-7-0 branch for core yet?

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Mon Feb 20 20:02:49 UTC 2006

On 2/20/06, Morbus Iff <morbus at disobey.com> wrote:
> > between 4.6 and 4.7 should really be major release number changes, e.g
> > 4.6 -> 5.0, not point releases.
>
> I disagree. If I can simplify the last six months of work:
>
>    FormAPI or, as I prefer, FAPI.
>    Security/validation related to FAPI
>
> This is a framework/API "developer feature", and not something that the
> end-user will ever care to appreciate. Taking FAPI out of the equation,
> I don't really see the number of *important* features that would make
> justify a 5.0 release.

Morbus

The impact of under the hood changes does affect end users, but in an
indirect way.

- Modules: Many would not work at all between point releases because
the API is broken.

- Upgrades: Significant database changes affect upgrade and modules as
well.

So, even though they do not see tangible things in Drupal, the version
number sends a message for compatibility, ...etc.