[development] no 4-7-0 branch for core yet?

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Mon Feb 20 21:00:22 UTC 2006

David Reed wrote:

>A BIG +1 on the idea of time-boxing the release cycles.  I think this has a
>lot of benefits over the current approach.
>
>IMHO
>
>1. It helps to create a sense of stability around the product.

Huh? I've never thought of Drupal as being particularly unstable.

>2. It alleviates some (not all) of the when-will-release-X-be-done
>questions.

Heh, here aren't that many of them. Nobody dares to ask twice.

>3. It helps businesses that rely on Drupal better plan their own
>Drupal-based initiatives

Those mysterious businesses better go into a serious bug squashing
frenzy if they want me to care for their problems.

>4. It adds a certain amount of structure to the development life-cycle
>5. It helps contributors because knowing the schedule they can focus their
>efforts on the things that are most important to them for THAT release

This doesn't make too much sense.

>I know there are down-sides as well.  I think the added structure would
>require more effort to manage.  I've seen some OS projects employ a rotating
>release-coordinator so that burden is shared.

I am all in favour of release-early-release-often, but I don't care too
much about the development model. The only thing I know is that there
are a lot of people who could review or provide more patches...

Cheers,
    Gerhard