[development] "I'm disappointed by the freeze"

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Wed Feb 22 10:58:33 UTC 2006

Bèr Kessels wrote:

> Did Roberts idea of the cooker get any follow-ups yet?

No, mostly because I haven't had time to pursue it. I'll summarize
quickly here for people who weren't in Amsterdam.

The GOAL:
Assist Dries and whoever else is wearing the "core committer" badge
process patches more efficiently by separating the ones with clear merit
from those that are clearly not ready, clearly not desirable, or
otherwise not worthy of Dries' 5 minutes.

The PROPOSAL:
Adjust the user privileges and workflow of the issue queue so that there
are, in fact, two queues:
   -- the first queue is the mess we now know and love. Everything goes
into it and it is everyone's task to evaluate the issues. The difference
is that there is a user role that has the extra-magical-superhero power
to promote an issue to the second queue.

   -- In Amsterdam I called this second queue the "pressure cooker"
because patches/issues that are inside of it are known to be the ones
that Dries will focus on. These are the ones where everybody should be
paying extra special attention because Drupal core is about to change in
some way. These are the ones that could hold up a release candidate
because they are critical. The advantage of having them separate is that
they will, by nature, receive more attention. And the attention of the
important people.

In Amsterdam I also introduced the idea of having the issue queue be a
real fifo queue, but lets not discuss that right now.

In summary, the most important two aspects of my proposal are:
  1) there is a user role that is more empowered to make decisions about
patches than they are today. This group of trusted developers has the
magical power to promote an issue to the "pressure cooker".
  2) the "pressure cooker" organizes the queue into wheat and chaff.
When Dries reviews patches, he knows that unless someone trusted has
promoted it into the pressure cooker, he doesn't need to fool with it
(he still can if he wants, of course). This will negate the
"pester-Dries-on-IRC" necessity since any issue in the pressure cooker
will automatically get his attention. It also galvanizes the community
around the issues in the pressure cooker since it is clear that those
are the issues being taken seriously, the ones that are likely to "make
it".

cheers,

Robert