[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Theodore Serbinski tss24 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 22 19:19:25 UTC 2006

I agree with Ber. Look at phpMyAdmin, it has a pretty hardcore config
file and guess what, it's all PHP arrays. It's simple, human readable,
but requires no advanced functions to make it work, read, no overhead.

So why don't we create the new file:   module.meta (or module.info)
and throw in it:

module_meta() {
  return array(
    'version' => '1.5',
    'description' => t('This is a really cool module'),
    'depends' => array('module1', 'module2', 'module3')
    'template' => 'module.foo.tpl.php'
  );
}

We can make the array as big or as small as needed and adjust
hook_meta() as needed.

This makes the most sense to me. I'm assuming these meta files aren't
going to be that complex. Not only that, but it keeps Drupal
consistent with the way everything else seems to work... arrays, forms
api, yes arrays :-D

ted