[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Wed Feb 22 19:28:33 UTC 2006

On 22 Feb 2006, at 9:19 PM, Theodore Serbinski wrote:

> I agree with Ber. Look at phpMyAdmin, it has a pretty hardcore config
> file and guess what, it's all PHP arrays. It's simple, human readable,
> but requires no advanced functions to make it work, read, no overhead.
>
> So why don't we create the new file:   module.meta (or module.info)
> and throw in it:
>
> module_meta() {
>   return array(
>     'version' => '1.5',
>     'description' => t('This is a really cool module'),
>     'depends' => array('module1', 'module2', 'module3')
>     'template' => 'module.foo.tpl.php'
>   );
> }

I would like to use meta-information for template files too, and
having to rename
functions inside meta info files is annoying.

In fact, there's many things that will need meta info files that
aren't modules

themes, styles, translations, install profiles, cck node types, etc.
etc.

Additionally, you need to load all these files before you can figure
out what
the requirements are, and using php means you potentially have namespace
conflicts.

I still vote for parse_ini().

Don't think modules, think packages.

--