[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Thu Feb 23 01:12:28 UTC 2006

> > We discussed it on the mailing list before, and an .ini file will have
> > the module name and description.
>
> I like how the modules have everything self contained right now.

I like that too, but we are already beyond this point. If your module
needs a CCS  file it will have a .css, same for .js, and even some
modules use .inc.

We also have the .install files as well.

It was good while it lasted, but it is time to move on.

> > This avoids the need to load all
> > module when the admin goes to admin/modules, and overcomes
> > the memory issue associated with that.
>
> That can be overcome by having the module list script set memory limit to
> -1.  That simple fix should go in 4.7.

Doesn't work where the hosting company caps the memory limit. You will
either get PHP to ignore the change you made, or give an error.

In both cases: that is not a solution.

> > It also opens the door to putting in things like version number (not
> > file version, but release version, date of change, and many other
> > meta data, and nifty things).
>
> All of which can be put into some sort of info hook(s).

I see merit in a hook_info(), as Ber outlined.

The idea though is to make them a separate file, along with the _help
hook as well.