[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Thu Feb 23 01:48:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:12:28PM -0500, Khalid B wrote:
> > That can be overcome by having the module list script set memory limit to
> > -1.  That simple fix should go in 4.7.
>
> Doesn't work where the hosting company caps the memory limit. You will
> either get PHP to ignore the change you made, or give an error.

Ah.  Very true, fine sir.  Forgot about that.a

> I see merit in a hook_info(), as Ber outlined.
>
> The idea though is to make them a separate file, along with the _help
> hook as well.

It need not even be a function.  The .info files can be something like
this:

<?php
$info['modulename'] = array(
  'version' => '1.2',
  ... etc ...
);

The all that needs to be done is loop through the directory, including
each .info file.  At the end, the $info array has everything you need.

Or it could even just be a regular array:

<?php
$info = array(
  'version' => '1.2',
  ... etc ...
);

Then the system goes through each file and either adds it to an
overarching array like this (in psuedo code for quickness):

<?php
$all_info = array();
foreach module file {
  include $module.info;
  $all_info[$module] = $info;
}

Or just display the info directly:

<?php
$all_info = array();
foreach module file {
  include $module.info;
  echo 'name: ' . $module . '<br />';
  echo 'version: ' $info['version'] . '<br />';
}

Fast.  Simple.  No godawful .ini syntax.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/