[development] google just pwned the brochureware site industry

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Feb 24 10:20:30 UTC 2006

Op vrijdag 24 februari 2006 10:51, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> Ben is right when he says that there are a large number of people
> using Drupal to create brochure websites, and that there is plenty of
> room for improvement in that area.  Like Ben, I think i18n is getting
> increasingly important.  It's critical functionality.  Similarly,
> security is getting increasingly important and one day the security
> state of the contributed modules is going to backfire like there is
> no tomorrow.  I second many of Ben's statements.  At the same time, I
> disagree with his statement that core should change less only because
> we should care more about his customers getting screwed.

yes.
Being in his boat ever since 3.x (yay) I have seen it all pass by. :)

It is very good to see disruptveness. Most ofte you will find, with a bit of
creativity, that in fact Drupal has solved new problems for your new and old
clients.
Those part where too little disruptiveness took place you will see dusty
corners in Drupal.

Those are either places where we (lack of interest) did not spend enough
development hours on, or where the ideas and needs/wants aer so different
that any proposed solution ended in a big explosion of debates :)

I can advice anyone with this continuity problem to revice his service model.
I found that maintaining a 4.4 site is not much work at all: yes it is
insecure, yes it has bugs, but that particular client has a site, and choses
not to pay for improvements. So 'maintainance' for me is: nothing! No one
forces you to upgrade. Something that cannot be said about the "industry
packages" by the way.

--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]