[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Fri Feb 24 18:39:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 17:03 +0000, Owen Barton wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 08:06 -0500, Morbus Iff wrote:
> > > This is what I'd like to see in 4.8/5.0 which would tie up some "loose
> > > ends" as it were with some of the direction that Drupal is moving in.
> > > These are bullet points because I'm heading off to work, but I'll be
> > > more than happy to wax further.
> >
> > And one more:
> >
> >     * misc/drupal.css can get split up into module directories
> >       so that module-specific CSS (such as aggregator and forums)
> >       doesn't get downloaded even if the module isn't enabled.
> >       Also, I think it'll make for cleaner CSS in the long run.
>
> While I agree with this in terms of simplifying code organization I
> think that we would want to consider the number of files sent to the
> client. Each css file is a http request with the overhead that that
> implies.

This so breaks caching...

> The fix for this would be for the css from modules (and maybe any core
> theme css) to be aggregated and sent to the browser in one file (either
> a physical file or a php script that sends the correct headers).

it is one file now... Scripted is even worse, then the caching behavior
of most browsers works against us.

If it were broken up and the css files were only linked on pages that
needed them, then we could split the load of downloading the multiple
css files over several page loads.