[development] enterprise needs

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sat Feb 25 15:08:57 UTC 2006

Benson Wong wrote:

>>Most people don't start by rewriting large parts of core.
>>

>True, but it does pretty much what I need it to do. That last mile,
>support for multilingual content is a deal breaker for me.

There are plenty of suggestions for that,

>>Over the years, we actually have resolved to implement some processes.
>>Feel free to suggest improvements, but for continued good working
>>relationship I suggest you scratch "backwards compatibility",
>>"responsibility",  and related items from your vocabulary.
>>

>I think that is a good sum up of where my wishes and those of the
>community differ. I'm looking for something that I can feel safe about
>using to build my company's corporate site off of. I didn't realize
>that Drupal is so much more technology focused than support focused.
>So, I apologize for all the drama. I'll stop now.

Well, my argument is that Drupal _is_ perfectly safe to build hatever
site you want to build with with it. Why is that so? Because it is Open
Source. If you don't like it, change it. If you can't do it yourself
hire somebody, if that somebody gets run over by a truck, hire somebody
else.

Try to do that with commercial software. There, if somethign fails, you
can only hope they'll fix it.

And if the publicly offered support through the forums (which is pretty
good) isn't good enough, try to get a service agreement with somebody.

>>IIRC, I approved your account.
>>

>Yep, and thanks. You told me to wait until after the drupal.org
>upgrades so I can change my CVS password... still waiting.

Ah, sorry, well, it wasn't me who forgot the password.  ;^)

>>Sorry to say so, but no aim is achieved without effort. If you don't
>>feel like doing grunt work once in a while, the processes that need a
>>review are yours not ours.
>>

>I have to agree with this. On that note, isn't there a way to automate
>the grunt work a bit?

We have discussed some ways of automation, but nobody has yet found the
time to implement them.

Two topics I remember:

-- unit tests (see
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/simpletest/)
-- automated patch testing.

>This is what I wound up doing while building off of the 4.7 release
>since the database definitions changed with pretty much every cvs
>update...
>
>I got pretty tired of having to manually go through and recreate the
>DB's for drupal, reimporting content, re-enabling my modules, setting
>the themes, etc. So I wrote a drupal bootstrapper. Basically it would
>automate the process of configuring a clean source tree all the way up
>to my configured website.

There are talks for an installer. But our update.php should take care of
db updates. Even from contrib nowadays.

>Why not do that with scratch.drupal.org, bootstrap it to a desired
>state, and then run selenium on it. It won't give big code problems,
>but it will at least ensure that what worked before is still working.

What is selenium in this context?

>Anyways, just an idea.

Which I am eager to evaluate.

Cheers,