[development] Drupal and i18n, the holy grail?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sat Feb 25 15:10:43 UTC 2006

Op zaterdag 25 februari 2006 15:47, schreef Adrian Rossouw:
> Remember that just because you can override any setting doesn't
> mean you will be able to from the interface. You still need to actually
> have a form element to capture the setting for that specific layer,
> although you might just change the default layer that things save to.

That is not a big problem. in the case of a translator for settings, we can
use form_alter and so. As long as we have the concept of cascading variables
we have the foudation of the problem solved.

Well, part of it.

Still problematic are:
profile fields
CCK/flexinode types
CCK/flexinode fields
menu titles
block titles
roles
input formats
and much, much more.

All need a way to become translated....

I think a module or a few modules that do this part by part is the only way to
solve it. A huge task....

My, personal shot at this, is to use less on-site configuration and more real
PHP.
A block defined in a hook_block can have a t() around its title. A block added
trough the online interface has no translation options. Same for menus, node
types, etc etc etc. Another reason not to lean too much on online
configuration, but rather build your site with normal PHP files.

Bèr
--
[ End user Drupal services and hosting | Sympal.nl ]