[development] Drupal and i18n, the holy grail?

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Sun Feb 26 01:54:02 UTC 2006

On 25 Feb 2006, at 5:10 PM, Bèr Kessels wrote:

> Op zate
> Still problematic are:
> profile fields
> CCK/flexinode types
> CCK/flexinode fields
> menu titles
> block titles
> roles
> input formats
> and much, much more.

One of the things i thought about, was using the data from the
db_create_table function I'd like to see
us implement, and be able to spawn new content tables for each language.

Ie: node_en, node_fr, node_<something>

Then we can extend the prefixing to use these language specific tables.

With the introduction of timestamps or even revision id's on each of
the tables we
want to be translateable, we can very very easily see which items
need to be updated.

I still have a suspicion however, that to implement i18n properly, we
are going to have
to abstract the database api even more, and move towards having a
query builder.

--
Adrian Rossouw
Drupal developer and Bryght Guy