[development] Drupal and i18n, the holy grail?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Feb 26 12:00:49 UTC 2006

Op zondag 26 februari 2006 04:49, schreef Khalid B:
> Don't know about Japanese, but Arabic has  unique issues with the
> whole Right to Left thing.
>
> As far as Drupal and Arabic goes, here are some resources:
> http://baheyeldin.com/arabization/using-drupal-with-arabic-and-other-right-
>to-left-languages.html
>
> Note that other Semitic languages share the right-to-left issues, such as
> Syriac, Hebrew, and Amharic, as well as many other non-Semitic languages
> that use the Arabic script (Farsi, Urdu, Pashtu, Dari).

Maybe you noted my footnote, saying that even "a few pages in english" on a
Dutch or so, site, is not that easy as it sounds.

Case:
I have an Arabic site, about a local diving centre. But I want to explain in
very short, how tourists can reach us, what our options for them are etc.
That means that curerntly I would have to wrap those pages in some DIVS and
classes only to make sure my english texts appear RTL and to make sure the
lang= property is set for that text. (Disclaimer, I have no Arabic sites, and
no sites on diving, its just an example)

Please do not take this is a starter for a thread on how to achieve this
particular case.
It is just to illustrate, that whatever solution we come up with, it will have
to be layered (aka modular). So that even simple solutions like this one
described can benefit from it.
Because we certainly do not want to install a complete content mirroring
system that infects forums and all that too, only to have five english pages
rendered correct.

Bèr
--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | website development |
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |