[development] Drupal and i18n, the holy grail?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Feb 26 11:52:57 UTC 2006

> I rather like Jose's approach to i18n support, and that is having it
> in core. I'm a little skeptical that having i18n as modular
> functionality. It should really be a part of core, and not something
> that can be turned on and off.

You are, unfortunately, making the same 'mistake' that Joses approach has had
since the beginning:

There is *no* holy grail. All our i18n sites differ so much in what they need
that they can never use the same codebase.

*this* cannot live as turnkey in core. It can only ever live in core as APIS
that offer miodule developers to build translation and so interfaces.

Beleive me: I have been hacking Drupal since I released my first english and
dutch Drupal site back in 2002 .

My post is not "just a wild idea" to hack current systems up into smaller
chunks and that be it. Its four years of Drupal-i18n experience that I
compiled into a final proposal :). And I am not sayig this to lever myself
as /te/ i18n guru, or to get aah and oohs. I am saying his, to illustrate my
reasons for disliking the monolyth apprroach.

Bèr

--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | website development |
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |