[development] enterprise needs

Benson Wong mostlygeek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 01:05:45 UTC 2006

Comments for Dries:

> From day one, I decided not to care about backward compatibility and
> it has been one of our core values ever since.  (However, we only
> break your code, not your data.)  Either you like that, or you
> don't.

Straight from the horse's mouth. :)
Thanks.

For Derek:
First off, excellent and very helpful input.

> However, that's not an ideal model, since it makes the cost of using
> drupal pretty high.  ... most
> people trying to use drupal to setup a website aren't going to have
> those skills and that experience to draw from (nor many thousands of
> dollars to hire someone who does).  If one of the motivating
> philosophies behind drupal is "down with The Man, let's help the
> underdog" (which I totally support), that doesn't quite jive with
> "only if the underdog is already a computer programmer, or has a $20K
> budget for their website".

This hits the nail directly on the head. A small addition, perhaps
providing the means, rather than enforcing the will is a good
approach. I dream of Drupal switching from cvs to svn.

Better access methods (https), finer grain access control, access
control lists, etc. We can have a guideline for a contrib module's svn
directory structure like:

/my_contrib
  head
  tags
   4.5
   4.6.4
   4.6.5
   4.7-BETA4

Contributors can choose if they want to use it or not.

It's very little work for a contributor to checkout the 4.6.5 version
of their module, fix some bugs, and commit the changes just for that
version of drupal. Much easier with SVN than CVS (I think).

Another plus is that people who depend on their code can just export
the correct tag. A lot easier too...

ie: svn co https://svn.drupal.org/respositories/contributions/my_module/tags/4.6.5

Ben