[development] Re: enterprise needs

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Feb 28 01:18:47 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 11:15, Chris Johnson wrote:

> A real abstraction would allow you to encapsulate the database objects as
> objects, and the code reading and writing the attributes of those objects
> would never need to use SQL.  I'm not sure if we want to go that far, or
> not. (Incidentally, I'm writing such a "real" object abstraction for MySQL
> and PostgreSQL for my employer right now.)
>
> Are there any other db abstraction libraries out there we should look at?
> I certainly would be interested in taking a look at them myself.

Having written a Drupal-esque db abstraction layer at work, I found that
abstracting insert, update, and delete statements is quite easy.  They're all
very regular, and in fact the abstracted form I had takes associative arrays
which makes them far easier to work with, even without database abstraction.
(I'm not sure if something similar would be of interest to Drupal, but I'd be
happy to code it up once HEAD opens again.)

Select statements are the tricky one, since they can get very complicated.
I've not figured out how to properly abstract those.  That's where the major
DB libraries get so big, and where stuff like PEAR::DB::DataObjects becomes
attractive.  Has anyone found a good abstraction model for select statements
that they like?

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012