[development] CVS accounts

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 08:59:01 UTC 2006

>> Chances are that the cvs.module's import code suffers from some bit
>> rot so if someone wants to prepare or test the cvs.module's import
>> code, that would be much appreciated.
>
> It would be helpful if there were some really good documentation on
> how to use Drupal to run a site like Drupal.org. I'd have to work
> pretty hard to set up the project module and cvs.module with my
> current skills, and not knowing exactly how Drupal.org runs and
> operates is another hurdle.
>
> Drupal is a vastly successful project. Part of the reason why it is
> successful is the infrastructure that has been created to support
> development and participation. It seems to me like this
> infrastructure would probably work well for a number of other
> projects as well, yet I've never heard of or seen anyone running a
> setup like Drupal.org.
>
> Maybe we'd get more people involved in the tools like project and
> cvs modules if we made it easier to set up other projects and sites
> with Drupal.org infrastructure. This would take a bit of
> documentation and marketing.

It takes a lot of time and effort to keep the tools working with CVS
head, and to implement the needs of the growing Drupal community.  If
only we had a couple more people working on them, we could make these
tools more generic, we could make the project.module use the
comment.module for issue follow-ups, fix the issues showing up on the
'recents posts' page, make it possible to reset CVS passwords,
conduct a card sort for the categorization of projects, add project
ratings, fix up the various database inconsistencies, etc, etc.

CivicSpace has been funding Nedjo to work on the project.module.
(Big thanks!)  If someone else wants to fund a developer, let me
know.  I'd be happy to coordinate the work.

That said, you're absolutely right.  It has a lot of potential, and
it particularly rewarding as well.  :)