[development] let's cleanup /misc
kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jan 5 17:51:55 UTC 2006
OK, here are my points:
1. In DocumentRoot, there should be only 2 files: index.php and
.htaccess, and one directory (drupal/). Nothing else. This allows
other applications to coexist cleanly (without clutter) with drupal.
2. Under drupal/, there are two directories: core/ (with includes,
modules, misc, ...etc.), and sites/. Anything under core/ should only
be core Drupal, untouched by anyone, and hence easily upgradable.
everything in core can be read only, and hence security is not an
3. sites/ has configuration files with multi site setup (hostname,
default, ...etc.), in addition to an "all/" directory, which is shared
by all domains.
4. Each hostname directory, as well as all/ directory can have
modules/ and themes/, files/ with site specific themes, modules,
5. The current scheme of having .module, .inc and .css under one
directory for a given module should continue. It works well. My only
gripe is that many modules do not do a drupal_get_path(), and hardcode
'modules' in there.
Now, moving to that scheme is a pain, and there are implications on
CVS for older releases, but let us ignore that for a minute, and see
if the reorganization itself has merits, and leave the "how to move to
it" for later.
More information about the development