[development] let's cleanup /misc

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Thu Jan 5 18:01:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:51:55 +0100, Khalid B <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> OK, here are my points:

which I answered already once but let's do it again!

> 1. In DocumentRoot, there should be only 2 files: index.php and
> .htaccess, and one directory (drupal/). Nothing else. This allows
> other applications to coexist cleanly (without clutter) with drupal.

If you want other applications to coexist then use subdirs. That's clean.

> 2. Under drupal/, there are two directories: core/ (with includes,
> modules, misc, ...etc.), and sites/. Anything under core/ should only
> be core Drupal, untouched by anyone, and hence easily upgradable.
> everything in core can be read only, and hence security is not an
> issue.

Under drupal/site/sitename you have everything you need to backup.

> 3. sites/ has configuration files with multi site setup (hostname,
> default, ...etc.), in addition to an "all/" directory, which is shared
> by all domains.

Now this is a valid idea -- maybe the site/default/modules and
site/default/themes should be included for every site? Oneliner patch.

> 4. Each hostname directory, as well as all/ directory can have
> modules/ and themes/, files/ with site specific themes, modules,
> ...etc.

Apart from files/ this is already so. You are, however, free to configure
Drupal to use per site files dir.

> 5. The current scheme of having .module, .inc and .css under one
> directory for a given module should continue. It works well. My only
> gripe is that many modules do not do a drupal_get_path(), and hardcode
> 'modules' in there.

So true. What's the URL of the handbook page where you have documented
this tip?

> Now, moving to that scheme is a pain

my head already hurts for answering this again , again and again.