[development] let's cleanup /misc

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Fri Jan 6 11:19:21 UTC 2006

> * move the default files location under sites/<host>/files

I think everyone agrees with this one.  If so, Ber can start working
on this.

> * add a sites/all directory for all non-core modules, which should be
>   available for all hosts

Is 'all' better than the current 'default', or will we have both
'all' and 'default'?

> * extend the directory scanner to understand different layouts - this
>   can be done by introducing $public_location and $private_location
>   in settings.php and using those for module, theme or other file and
>   directory lookup in any of the scenarios above.

I think everyone agrees with this one.   It allows us to get there
without destructive changes.  In future, we can push this further.
In the mean time, we get to play with different layout schemes.

> * get rid of misc/ - in favour of
>     - sites/all/themes/all/js
>     - sites/all/themes/all/css
>     - sites/all/themes/all/css/images
>   the disadvantage of this is the directory depth both to type and to
>   see in browser, the latter can be remedied in code

How about the simpler:

  sites/all/javascript
  sites/all/stylesheets
  sites/all/images

> *  */vendor  is a worthy contender to consider - this way we won't mix
>   drupal and non-drupal code too much - this will be easier to upgrade
>   but otherwise I don't have an idea on all implications

I don't see the point of 'vendor'.